2018 MAWS Conference Registration Now Open
Welcome, Marijuana Anonymous World Services delegates.It is our pleasure to host the MAWS Conference, and District 2 wants to express our gratitude to all of you for donating and volunteering your time to help the addict who still suffers in this important way. We will do our best to make your stay comfortable, rewarding and fun as an attendee to the conference.
Read on for details, or go straight to registration.
Where and When Will the MAWS Conference be Held?
May 25-28, 2018 (Memorial Day weekend); we estimate registration will open Friday at 4pm.
Airports: The nearest airport is Oakland Airport (OAK) and is strongly recommended. San Francisco International (SFO) is at least an hour away and traffic is horrendous. Seriously, it's terrible. And the San José Airport (SJC) is quite far and should only be used by people willing to provide their own ground transportation (that is, rent a car).
Public Transportation: The Bay Area Rapid Transit system (BART) has a station at both the Oakland and San Francisco airports (but you should fly into Oakland). The Conference Host Committee can pick attendees up from the Ashby BART station in Berkeley.
Parking: Parking is available at the Clark Kerr Campus but permits are required and must be arranged in advance by contacting the Host Committee by May 1. Permits cost $18/day or $21 for overnight stays. The host commitee is looking into making offsite parking available.
Housing and Food
Attendees will stay in dormitory rooms at the Clark Kerr Campus. See below for housing costs.
The following meals will be provided by the Conference Host Committee:
- Friday: dinner
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday: breakfast and lunch (dinner is not provided)
We will do our best to accommodate dietary needs if you describe them at the time of registration. There will be a range of menu options.
Conference Business and Committees
The business of the conference begins on Saturday morning.
Every attempt will be made to assign you to the committee you prefer, but please understand if your request (see below) cannot be accommodated. For an overview of each committee's responsibilities, please click here.
Registration and Payment deadline is May 1, 2018. Because of venue requirements, no registration money can be refunded after this date.
Registration fee is $250 for a double room and $325 for a single room. Both room types come with a shared bathroom. Rooms will have linens and towels.
Please send a check for payment. Make checks payable to Marijuana Anonymous District 2 and legibly print MAWS Conference, attendee(s) name(s) and their positions in the memo area on the face of the check.
Mail payment to:
MAWS Conference 2018
860 Sibert Court
Lafayette, CA 94549
How Do I Register?
Click here to REGISTER
REGISTRATION INFO COMING SOON!
Will be hosted by MA District 2 (San Francisco, CA and East Bay)— May 25–28, 2018
Planning is in progress in District 2 and we are doing our best to prepare for this important event. We are hoping to provide an excellent atmosphere for our hard working and trusted servants to do the work so vital to the support of the MA Fellowship. Please check back again for more information.
Marijuana Anonymous World Services Donation
Every MA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.Marijuana Anonumous Tradition Seven
Marijuana Anonymous World Services uses contributions to carry the MA message by typesetting literature, sending out meeting starter kits, maintaining our web site, and preserving MA unity between the districts. The money is also used to pay for the annual World Service Conference, as well as the business expenses incurred by the trustees in operating MA throughout the year. A group is not self-supporting until it pays its own expenses and contributes its fair share to the larger society. The group not only supports itself but MA as a whole. That is what is meant by "fully" self-supporting, since there would be no groups without the fellowship. A group that does not raise enough money during meetings may raise it by having fund-raisers or events. We all have to pull together, and by doing so we learn that we are truly part of something greater than ourselves.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana.Marijuana Anonymous Tradition Three
MAWS is committed to ensuring that your anonymity and privacy are protected in accordance with The Twelve Traditions of Marijuana Anonymous. If we ask you to provide information by which you can be identified when using our services, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement. We may update this policy from time to time. When this policy is updated, our services will prominently display the updated policy.
What we collect
You are not required, and we will not require, that you provide us with any information whatsoever, except as is necessary to provide you with optional services. We require that you give us your email address to register to use optional services such as the Marijuana Anonymous Connection Forum (Forum), or to use the interactive Life with Hope 12 Step Workbook app feature that allows you to email your responses to workbook questions to yourself or others. Email addresses are never stored for app users but are retained for those who register for Forum use. When you supply an email address, a confirmation message will be sent to that address with a link which, when clicked, notifies the services that email may be sent to or from that address.
When you send a request from the app to our servers, we collect the version of the app, the version of your device and operating system, and your language. In the case of a location-based request, we collect your geographic location. The collected information is used to customize the server's response to your device, app version, and language. We do not collect any information that identifies who you are or identifies your particular device, such as a device ID. All online services by necessity receive your IP address with every communication. If you make a Seventh Tradition donation to MAWS through PayPal™, we will receive the name of the payer from PayPal™. Support requests that include the sending of a log file may result in the collection of additional information used to aid in troubleshooting and follow-up.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure what you send us. App communications between you and the services are secured with SSL, so that the contents of your communications with the services are encrypted between your computing device and our servers. We will not distribute any information we have about our members to anyone unless we are required by law to do so.
Links to other websites
Making a commitment to service work helps us stay clean and sober, and to "keep coming back." It gives us the opportunity to practice loving unselfishness and benefits our own recovery, as well as the recovery of every member in our group.
The MAWS Conference provides many opportunities for service both before and during the Conference. Regardless of how much time you have, there is undoubtedly a way for you to contribute.
Each year prior to the MAWS Conference, every MA group is asked to review the Agenda containing the action items Members have submitted for consideration. Please read them, consider them, discuss them and arrive at a group conscience. Group Service Representatives will then carry their group's conscience to the District Service Committee where further deliberation takes place. The DSC's group conscience is then carried to the MAWS Conference by the district's duly elected Delegates.
The Twelve Concepts for Service
in Marijuana Anonymous
- The Marijuana Anonymous service structure was created to give the groups the freedom to carry out our society's primary purpose of carrying the message to marijuana addicts.
- The ultimate authority and responsibility for service in Marijuana Anonymous is the collective conscience of the groups.
- The Marijuana Anonymous groups have delegated to its service committees and trusted servants the full authority to conduct Marijuana Anonymous' business and service regarding district as well as world affairs.
- All members of a service committee have the "Right of Participation," and bear substantial responsibility for the service committee's decisions.
- Group conscience is the spiritual means by which service decisions are made.
- A "Right of Appeal" exists to protect minority opinions, and to ensure that all viewpoints have been considered in the decision making process.
- The scope of responsibility and authority of every service position should be well defined to ensure accountability of all service positions as well as the ability to perform each position.
- Effective leadership qualities are essential for trustees, who are entrusted with the responsibility of making final decisions regarding general world service business and finances.
- The Articles of Incorporation and By laws of Marijuana Anonymous World Services, Inc., are legal documents that empower the trustees to manage and conduct world service business; the conference charter is not a legal document but relies on the force of the traditions and power of the group conscience.
- The integrity of our service structure depends on continued unity of Marijuana Anonymous groups, districts, and World Services through effective communication.
- Marijuana Anonymous' funds and resources should be managed responsibly to ensure their most efficient use in carrying out the primary purpose of Marijuana Anonymous.
- The Marijuana Anonymous service structure should be one of selfless service and not of power or government, ensuring that the spiritual principles of the 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, and the warranties of Article 12 of the conference charter are always maintained.
Approved by the World Service Conference of Marijuana Anonymous, May 1996
GENERAL WARRANTIES OF THE CONFERENCE: In all its proceedings, the World Service Conference shall observe the spirit of the M.A. TRADITIONS, taking care that the Conference never becomes the seat of perilous wealth or power; that sufficient operating funds, plus an ample reserve, be its prudent financial principle; that none of the Conference members shall ever be placed in a position of unqualified authority over any of the others; that all important decisions be reached by discussion, vote, and whenever possible, by substantial unanimity; that no Conference action ever be personally punitive or an incitement to public controversy; that though the Conference may act for the service of MA, it shall never perform any acts of government; and that, like the SOCIETY OF M.A. which it serves, the Conference itself will always remain democratic in thought and action.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered with our services for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on these services is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall solely be your responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through these services meet your specific requirements.
- The services are provided for your general information and personal, non-commercial use only.
- Unauthorized use of our services may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time our services may include links to third-party websites. These links are provided as a matter of convenience. We do not endorse any outside enterprise (see Tradition 6), so the presence of such links never signifies an endorsement. We have no responsibility for the content of third-party websites.
- Our services contain material which is owned by or licensed to us. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in our services which are not the property of, or licensed to, MAWS are acknowledged on our services.
- The services are subject to change without notice.
- Your use of our services and this agreement shall be governed, construed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, without regard to its conflict of laws rules.
MAWS holds copyrights on behalf of the worldwide fellowship of Marijuana Anonymous (MA) as a whole in various bodies of literature, videos, CD's, software and other materials produced and published by MAWS and/or A New Leaf Publications, a division of MAWS.
340 S Lemon Ave # 9420
Walnut CA 91789-2706
MA Districts and groups may quote a phrase, sentence or brief paragraph — including the Twelve Steps, Twelve Traditions and Twelve Questions — without a prior written request, but proper credit should be included to ensure that copyrights are protected. Include the following credit line: © Marijuana Anonymous (date). Reprinted by permission. It is suggested that instead of reproducing content available through the services, MA District and group websites link to the appropriate pages of www.marijuana-anonymous.org. MA Districts and groups may reprint the pamphlets for free distribution at MA meetings and recovery-related events, provided that the contents, including the Copyright notice, are not altered in any way.
Marks and Logos
MAWS owns various marks and logos and their use is bound by legal and other considerations intended to prevent dilution of the MA name. The resulting harm of unapproved use is that marks and logos that represent MA as a whole will be associated with outside entities, services and products resulting in loss of meaning and significance to MA.
Forum and Chat Meetings
By accessing the Marijuana Anonymous Connection Forum or online chat meetings, you agree not to post any advertisement, nor any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any laws, be it of your country, the country where the Forum is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by MAWS, the forum moderators or chat meeting administrators. The IP address of each Forum post is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the Forum has the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time, and that any information you enter may be stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, MAWS shall not be held responsible in the event that the data are compromised.